Caring for the documents
We are responsible for the security of the documents in our care. This means that we have to apply some procedures to help us to do this. Knowing in advance how this will affect your use of our reading rooms will help you to prepare for your visit.
You can help us to protect the documents against damage or deterioration
- bringing pencils to use in our reading rooms
- not bringing items into our reading rooms that might harm the documents, such as
- food and drink, including sweets and chewing gum
- sticky tape and glue
- scissors and penknives
- always following staff guidance regarding safe-handling of documents
In Safe Keeping gives further guidance on safe-handling of documents and how that affects what may be photocopied or scanned.
We also ask you to
- bring acceptable proof of your identity and address if it is your first visit
- not bring bags, including handbags, folders or containers of any kind, including plastic pockets, into the reading rooms - such items, as well as other personal belongings, may be left in the lockers provided for you.
- only bring a minimum of personal papers into the reading rooms
- wait to have original documents checked back by staff after use
When you visit us for the visit us for the first time you will be given a copy of the Code of Conduct. If you would like to look at this in advance of your visit please follow the links below.