Travel to School Action Plans - September 2021
What is a School Travel Plan?
- School site specific data from all teams involved in school travel
- Maps to encourage active travel and discourage parking in immediate school area
- Actions for schools to follow with free resources and support
- A range of initiatives, promoting active, safe and sustainable travel to support your school throughout the full school year
- Curriculum linked activities and lesson plans for KS1, KS2 & KS3
- Modeshift Stars travel planning tool free for the school, a rewards-based scheme to influence travel modes.
- Air Quality Monitoring using diffusion tube testing and real-time hand-held monitors.
- Calendar of campaigns for your school to get involved with, supported with resources.
- Cycle training and other Bikeabiity modules, as well as resource packs for after school activites.
- Parent engagement at open days, school fairs and parent’s evenings.
- Support for your school council, eco council or active travel council with regular newsletters.
- Competitions, activities and rewards for your school to take part in.
- Assemblies, lessons and activities linked to air quality and active travel. These can be delivered 'virtually'.
Benefits to your school include:
- Improved air quality - Previous engagement has seen air pollution levels around the school fall by over 20%.
- Reduced car parking required and less traffic around the school.•Lowers school carbon footprint.
- Increases health and well-being of staff, children and parents; as well as neighbours.
- Improving the image of the school.
- Improved concentration and learning - Research shows active travel affects classroom results.
All Staffordshire Schools were issued with a "Travel to School Action Plan" during September 2020 to support the return to school Covid 19 restart.
Contact the active school travel team.