8 Surprising facts about apprenticeships
Going to university used to be the only way to get the best jobs, but apprenticeships
are now offering a different route and lots of young people are taking advantage of them to get ahead.
- The earning potential of the best apprenticeships rivals degrees*. Plus, apprentices get paid, which means a salary whilst qualifying, paid holiday and a debt free foot on the career ladder.
- Apprenticeships are now available up to degree level and beyond, over 50 universities currently offer a range of degree apprenticeships and this is set to increase.
- Apprenticeships are the most direct route into the work place with 90% of apprentices staying employed.
- Apprentices in Staffordshire have a graduation ceremony.
- Those who complete an apprenticeship earn more in their lifetime and for those completing a Higher Apprenticeship this can be £150,000 more.
- Apprenticeships aren’t just for manual trades and engineering anymore. There are apprenticeships in a wide variety of careers and industries including accountancy, IT, law, media, publishing, journalism and more. Have a browse of apprenticeship opportunities to find out more.
- They're not just for school leavers, you can apply at any age if you want to retrain or change your career.
- Apprenticeships are valued by employers because they create employees who have experience and have developed communication, problem-solving and teamwork skills.