Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies
This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it

My child has a school place but I want to apply for a different school


Is your preferred school within Staffordshire?

Yes: Go to number 2.

No: Please contact the relevant local authority where the new school is located.


Are you or your child unhappy with the current school?

Yes: Make an appointment to discuss your concerns with your child's school. If any issues can be resolved at this stage this may avoid any disruption to your child's education. Changing schools should be a last resort when all other options have been explored.

You may think that a change of school is necessary because you feel that your child is being bullied. All schools have anti-bullying policies, and, as such, if you think your child is being bullied you need to tell the school immediately to discuss your concerns further.

You can find information and support on a range of school-based issues.

No: Go to number 3.


Is your child attending their current school?

Yes: Go to number 4.

No: Some children are reluctant to attend school and may look towards parents to provide them with a reason not to attend school. Never give into the pressure to allow a child to stay off school as it may make things worse.

If you are experiencing problems with your child’s attendance at school, please talk to your child’s school as soon as possible. If you decide to make an application to change your child’s school your child should where possible continue to attend their current school whilst you await the outcome to your application.


Is your child's behaviour causing concern at school?

Yes: Some parents/carers want to change schools because they that think their child’s behaviour will improve with a change of school. It is more important for everybody to work together in trying to address and resolve the difficulties that are causing the poor behaviour.

No: Go to number 5.


Does your child have an education health and care plan (EHCP)?

Yes: You will need to speak to the SEND Assessment & Planning Service to consider changing your child's school.

No: Go to number 6.


Is your child in year 9, 10 or 11 at school?

Yes: Parents whose children are in Years 9, 10, 11 need to be aware that a new school may not be able to exactly match a child’s existing curriculum commitments and a change of school during a school year can seriously impact upon a child’s educational outcomes. Not all schools offer the same subjects at examination level and this should be explored with your preferred school. 

No: Go to number 7.


Does your child have additional needs but does not have an education, health and care plan?

Yes: If you are thinking of changing your child's school because their needs are not being met it is important that you discuss your concerns with your child's current school.

SENDIASS (Staffordshire Family Partnership) can provide you with impartial information, advice and support.

No: Go to number 8.


Has your child received either a fixed term or permanent exclusion from their current school?

Yes: Please see our separate information regarding permanent exclusions.

No: Go to number 9.


If you have answered the questions above and have reached here, you will need to complete an in-year application form and return this to your preferred school. A verbal enquiry or visit to a school is not a formal application for a school place and therefore you may not receive a response to your enquiry.

If you have already submitted an application and you do not receive a response within 15 school days, then please contact the school directly to request a written response.

You have the right to still make an application for a school place even when the school advises you they have no places.

Please remember when considering changing your child's school of if you are moving into the area, it is important to note that transport will only be provided in line with the county council’s transport policy and usually is only provided if your child is attending “the nearest school with vacancies” – if you are unable to obtain a place at a local school and wish to enquire about vacancies at alternative school or your eligibility for home to school transport please email admissions@staffordshire.gov.uk

View school transport information

There are no results that match your search criteria