Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies
This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it

Children from overseas

Homes for Ukraine

Families affected by the War in Ukraine should make their applications for school places using the in-year admissions form and read the information available regarding the process.

Applications should be submitted to the preferred school(s). Our school search facility may prove helpful in knowing which schools are most local to your home address.

It is important to note that there have been no changes to admissions or school transport legislation, and whilst children from the Ukraine have no automatic priority for school places or related transport there is a clear expectation from the Secretary of State that applications from such children should be considered sympathetically.

Families experiencing difficulties in obtaining a local school place are advised to email admissions@staffordshire.gov.uk for assistance. It is important to note that transport will only be provided in line with the county council’s transport policy and usually is only provided if your child is attending “the nearest school with vacancies” – if you are unable to obtain a place at a local school and wish to enquire about vacancies at alternative school or your eligibility for home to school transport please email admissions@staffordshire.gov.uk

Children currently living overseas

Please see the latest guidance from Department for Education.

The Department for Education advises that overseas nationals entering the UK who wish to apply for a state-funded school, check that they have a right of abode or the conditions of their visas otherwise permit them to access a state-funded school. 

If you will live in your own property

If you are returning to live in a property that you already own we will require evidence of this. This includes, but is not limited to, evidence of ownership and proof that the property will be available for the family to live in before the time of hopeful admission.

If you will live in a rented property

If you are returning to live in a property that you are renting, we will require evidence of this. This includes, but is not limited to, evidence of rental agreement and proof that the property will be available for the family to live in before the time of hopeful admission.

What happens after I have applied?

Your application will be processed and a place allocated based on the information that you have provided. If a place is allocated at a school in advance of your arrival then it will be expected that your child will take up the offer no later than the date specified in your offer letter. Failure to do so may result in the withdrawal of the school place offer.

In the case of applications for year groups other than at the normal age of entry to school, it is expected that you will apply around 6 weeks before the place is required to enable your application to be considered alongside up-to-date information about the availability of places within the required year group.

What if I do not have the documentation required?

If you are unable to provide the above documentation evidencing your return or arrival then your child’s application will be considered on the basis of your current address and in the event of the school being oversubscribed it is unlikely that a place will be offered due to the distance concerned, in this circumstance, your child will not receive an offer of an alternative school place until you are actually resident in the UK.

You should check that you have right of abode or the conditions of your visa before making an application for a school place..

Children recently arrived in the UK

If your child has recently arrived in the UK and is living in Staffordshire without a school place you will need to complete the in year admission application form and submit the application to your preferred school.

Please refer to the in year admissions process for further information about how to make an application. 

Advice for schools

In-year applications

Schools can only refuse the application based on ‘prejudice’ as defined in legislation (for example, the school is full). The relevant admission authority must not require applicants to currently live in the area before considering their applications.

If a school is concerned that a child may not have a right to enter the country to access a state-funded school, it must not deny them a place or remove them from the school roll. Schools should advise parents to check their rights or email the Home Office’s school referrals team so they can investigate further.

Home Office referrals

If a school has concerns about a particular child’s immigration status, contact Home Office via: schoolreferrals@homeoffice.gov.uk.

If the Home Office finds that the child’s visa does not entitle him or her to enter the country to attend a state-funded school, it will be up to the Home Office to take any further action it considers appropriate. A local authority, admission authority or school must not deny a child a place or remove him or her from the school roll on the basis of the Home Office’s findings.

There are no results that match your search criteria