PPE information for schools and childcare settings
COVID-19: Procedure for the Emergency Supply of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) from 28 September 2020
This document outlines Staffordshire County Council procedures for the distribution of PPE to Staffordshire schools and education settings when they have exhausted their own supply chain or are unable to source from national supply routes.
Council Emergency Supply
To manage the distribution of emergency PPE, the council has placed a stock of PPE in several distribution hubs listed in section 2 below.
Supplies are limited, and you will only be able to access small amounts to support you whilst you are seeking alternative PPE provision. Section 3 details the PPE available and the maximum numbers that can be collected. These emergency PPE stocks must only be accessed when required and for short periods of time.
- Telephone one of the distribution hubs before attending to ensure they have the supplies you need and to arrange a suitable time for collection. It is important to phone ahead to gain detailed guidance on where to present and wait at each location. PPE will not be given without a prior telephone call.
- On collection you will be asked to show ID and any Key Worker documentation which clearly identifies the person and the organisation.
Please note: You may be asked to wear a face covering when collecting PPE.
- The distribution hub will record details of the person and organisation collecting PPE, the amounts and type of PPE collected and send this information to the council’s Health and Safety PPE Team. This information will be used to monitor levels of PPE and to identify trends.
- If you are unable to collect from one of the distribution hubs or need larger amounts of PPE please complete the PPE request form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org the team will respond within 48 hours (excluding weekends and bank holidays).
Location of Emergency Supplies and Contact details - PPE collection between the hours of 10am and 4pm Monday-Friday.
Walhouse Street, Cannock, WS11 0DY
Burton Area Service Office
The Grange, Grange Street, Burton, DE14 2ER
Tel: 01283 239666
Barracks Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme, ST5 1BL
Tel: 01782 296290
The Old House
Eastern Avenue, Lichfield, WS13 7SQ
Tel: 01543 510100
South Staffs District Council Offices
Wolverhampton Road, Codsall, WV8 1PX
Tel: 01902 506150
Stafford Area Service Office
Floor 4, Stafford Borough Council Offices, Riverside, Stafford, ST16 3AQ
Biddulph Area Service Office
Town Hall, High Street, Biddulph, Stoke on Trent, ST8 6AR
Tamworth Area Service Office
Marmion House, Lichfield Street, Tamworth, B79 7BZ
Maximum numbers of PPE provided
- Aprons (disposable) – packs of 50 = Up to 400
- Clinical Waste Bag (yellow) = 25
- Eye Protection (Overspecs) = Up to 20
- Fluid Resistant Surgical Mask (IIR) - supplied in packs of 50 = Up to 500
- FFP3 Face Masks (EN149) = 20
- Face Visor = Up to 4
- Gloves (Disposable) - supplied in packs of 50
- Specify S / M / L / XL = Up to 400
- Gowns - Long Sleeved Fluid Repellent (Disposable) = Up to 30
- Hand Sanitiser (min 60% alcohol content) = Up to 10 (100ml) OR Up to 4 (500ml)
Putting on, wearing and removal of PPE
All staff wearing PPE must be aware of the correct type of PPE to wear and the protocols around the putting on and removing (donning and doffing) of this PPE to prevent the risk of contamination during this activity.
Videos and posters are available for training:
Disposal of PPE
- Double bag and tie used PPE.
- Bags should be kept in a secure location for 72 hours before disposal as normal rubbish.
Remember - PPE is only effective when combined with hand hygiene, respiratory hygiene and avoiding touching your face with your hands and following standard infection prevention and control precautions.