Additional information and advice
These web sites may be useful to you:
This directory offers you a local overview of what’s happening and available in your area.
RNIB Helpline: 0303 123 9999.
- eye health services to help understand your eye condition
- the effects of your eye condition
- what treatments are available and how to access them
- how to protect your remaining eyesight
- advice on charities and support groups to help you or someone you know
Living with sight loss courses and phone groups
The RNIB also hold face to face or telephone groups for those adults dealing with low vision or vision loss.
This is RNIB’s very own lending library for people with a visual impairment, where you can borrow books in a range of formats. They offer:
- talking books available on USB, daisy, CD or downloaded via an app
- giant print
This directory lists associations and charities for other eye conditions aimed at helping blind or partially sighted people.
Sight advice FAQ
This answers frequently asked questions about:
- living with sight loss
- eye health
- being newly diagnosed with a sight condition
It includes those who are supporting people through their sight loss journey, including parents, partners, carers and friends.
The site is brought to you by a partnership which includes:
Advice and Information Service: 0300 3030 111
The society produces patient leaflets on a wide variety of sight related matters as well as telephone support and small groups.
International Glaucoma Society
IGA Glaucoma Helpline Support and Advice: 01233 64 81 70
The society run an information and advice service. They provide a number of glaucoma-related services including:
- patient information leaflets
- Patient support groups
- Funding professional research that helps with the detection, management and treatment of glaucoma
Helpline: 0845 123 2354
Formerly known as 'Fighting Blindness', they provide help for people with sight loss including:
- an information and support service
- talk and support or befriending for people with inherited sight loss
The core of this is their website and associated publications.
The libraries offer large print books and audio books on loan from the local libraries. You can also borrow downloadable audio books and e-books.
Calibre audio library
Telephone: 01296 872210
This is a national charity providing unabridged audio books for adults and children with sight problems, dyslexia or other disabilities, who cannot read print.
Contact them on 01296 872210 or visit their website.
Telephone: 01793 497 555
They can find your local talking newspaper. The majority are on USB stick, and a player can be provided by the local talking newspapers on request.
Hotline on: 0800 389 7979
This is a charity that supports anyone who has served in the Armed Forces, or who has done National Service, and who is now living with significant sight loss.
Telephone: 0800 269 545
They provide a range of support to help disabled people and older people get the most from their home computers, tablets and smartphones.