Our use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Hearing loss

If you are having a problem with your hearing the first thing to do is see your GP so they can check your ears and refer you to your local audiology department for a hearing test, if necessary.

You may also be referred to the ear, nose and throat department (ENT) at the hospital if there are other issues with your ears or hearing.



Deaf people: This is the umbrella term for all deaf people.

Hard of hearing: Deaf people who use speech as their main form of communication and may use hearing aids.

Deafened: Deaf people who have lost all or most of their hearing after acquiring spoken language and rely on lip-reading and text for communication.

Deaf, british sign language (BSL) users: Deaf people who use british sign language as their main or preferred language.


How can I check my hearing?

You can check your hearing on the Action on Hearing Loss (AOHL) website. This hearing check will tell you if you have any hearing loss and what you need to do next.


How can I get support?

Follow these 7 simple steps to help you get the support you need:

Get a professional opinion

Visit your local GP to request a referral to your local audiologist within the NHS service.

Have your level of hearing loss confirmed

It is important to have your level of hearing loss confirmed by an audiologist and that you ask for your audiogram and next steps to be explained to you in a way that you understand.

Provision of hearing aids

If NHS digital hearing aids are issued at the time of the appointment, please be aware that when you leave the soundproof room the noise outside of this room will be much louder.

Give yourself time to adjust to wearing your new hearing aids and persevere as much as you can. Your brain needs time to get used to hearing new sounds again.

Get a referral to your local sensory (rehabilitation) team

Get in touch with us and we will be able to assess your needs.

Contact Staffordshire Cares:

Phone: 0300 111 8010
Text: 0796 673 8920

Have a personal action plan

It is important that you have a personal action plan which is based on your individual assessment as well as a good understanding of the local services available in your community. These will help you to live a more independent and active life.

Continuously review your plan

Make sure you visit your doctor or audiologist routinely for reviews of any changes in your hearing if you have any issues with your NHS hearing aids and review your own personal action plan. Hearing tests or reviews are usually done every 3 years. Don’t delay or suffer in silence.

Enjoy living more independently

By following these steps you will be better informed and be able to live with deafness more confidently and independently.


How do I get an advocate?

If you need support to help you to make informed decisions an advocate will be able to help you. We can arrange an independent advocate for you.


Further information

Please see our pages on the following:

There are no results that match your search criteria

Latest social care and health news

Walleys Quarry health impact scrutiny meeting scheduled

Staffordshire county councillors concerned about the effect of Walleys Quarry on people's physical and mental wellbeing are holding a special meeting to question public health leaders.
21 July 2021

More important than ever to get vaccinated

With coronavirus cases continuing to rise in the county, Staffordshire's health chief has thanked everyone who has stepped up so far and been vaccinated.
20 July 2021

Take sensible precautions to limit the spread of Covid-19

With cases continuing to rise in all parts of the county, Staffordshire's health chief has called on residents and businesses to continue taking sensible precautions to limit the spread of Covid-19.
19 July 2021

Keep getting jabbed and tested Tamworth people urged

Following a borough-wide push over the weekend, people in Tamworth are being urged to carry on getting vaccinated and tested.
19 July 2021

Visit the Staffordshire Newsroom