Housing with care
Housing with care is sometimes known as:
- Extra care
- Flexible living
- Assisted living
There are many schemes, usually run by housing associations. All are home to a mix of residents needing varying levels of support. You stay in control of your own future, retaining dignity, security and choice.
What is extra care housing?
It supports you to live independently for as long as you can. You get:
- The security and privacy of a home of your own
- A range of facilities on the premises
- Access to 24-hour care and support services, if needed
What is sheltered housing?
This is like extra housing but rather than offering higher levels of care and support, low level support is provided by wardens instead.
How do I find a scheme?
You can find out where they are by either:
How do I apply?
If you have an interest in a particular scheme you should contact the organisation directly. They can tell you how to apply and arrange a visit for you.
Eligible for support
If you are eligible to receive financial support from us, your social care contact will help you with:
- Working out how much you may need to pay.
- How to apply.
Why is extra care housing different from a care home?
- You are living in your own home and not in a residential or nursing home.
- It is private accommodation and is available for rent, shared ownership or sale.
- You have your own front door so you control who comes in and when.
- Couples and friends can stay together.
- There is a mix of able and less able people to reflect a true community.
- 24-hour care and support services are available on site.
- You get support to keep your independence.
- You can join in social activities or you can be private.
- You have control over your finances and support if you need it to manage them.
- You have security as it is a home for life.
The level of care provided can be increased or decreased to match your needs as they change and staff can be with you immediately if you have an urgent need for assistance. Also, because they are permanently based in the building, staff are able to get to know you well and can monitor your day-to-day wellbeing.
What facilities does extra care housing have?
Each extra care housing scheme will have a range of facilities on site, such as:
- Hair and beauty salon
- Café or restaurant
- Hobbies room
They also encourage local people to make use of the facilities. This makes the scheme an integral part of local life.