We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Equipment and minor works

If you have had an occupational therapy assessment and the outcome is that you need equipment or minor works to help with your day to day living, you can elect to purchase this via a direct payment.

You would receive a payment from us towards purchasing the equipment or minor works yourself.


What are the benefits?

  • You will have more control and choice over what equipment you purchase, e.g. style, design or colour, rather than receiving a basic stock item issued directly by us.
  • You can put the direct payment towards a more expensive, higher specified model of your choice.
  • You may wish to purchase the equipment from a different supplier than we would use.
  • You would be able to choose who you contracted with to complete the minor works rather than using council contracted workers.

We must be satisfied that the equipment or minor works you choose to purchase are going to adequately meet your assessed needs.

You would only receive money towards equipment or minor works that we would normally have a responsibility to provide.



The direct payment will include the cost of the equipment plus fitting, training and maintenance for 2 years.

You will have the responsibility of maintaining the equipment once any manufacturer’s guarantee has expired. You may choose to fund any further warranties privately.


Minor Works

Up to £1000

A direct payment may be considered for minor works costing up to a maximum of £1,000.

Over £1000

For works above £1,000 the disabled facilities grant (DFG) process would be used. You would need to discuss this with your practitioner.


Ownership and responsibilities

Any equipment or minor works purchased via a direct payment will belong to you. You will be responsible for its care and maintenance. If the equipment requires regular servicing, we will usually give you additional money as required, to cover this cost.

When the equipment is no longer of use to you, it is yours to dispose of. It may be possible for us to arrange collection of it, although we are not able to buy it from you.

If an accident, for example to a personal assistant, occurs because the equipment had not been maintained properly, then the liability would be the responsibility of you as the client.

Any unauthorised expenditure may be re-claimed from you.


Cost of the equipment or minor works

The direct payment will only fund the amount that it would ordinarily cost us to pay for the equipment or minor works. You would have to top-up any additional costs privately.

For specialist or bespoke items, it may be more difficult to establish how much we would fund. You should discuss these with your practitioner who would request approval on a case by case basis.


How will I receive the direct payment?

If it is to be a one-off payment then you can receive it via cheque or bank transfer. It is not possible for us to make cash payments.

Regularly weekly payments would be paid into your personal bank account. If you are already in receipt of a regular direct payment for care and support and have been provided with a prepaid card account, the money towards your equipment or minor works will also go onto this card.


What happens next?

  • You will sign an agreement. This will state the type of equipment or minor works required, how much the direct payment will fund and what your responsibilities are.
  • You should receive the direct payment amount within 14 days of the paperwork being completed, approved by our management team and submitted.
  • Your practitioner will agree a timescale for the purchase of the equipment or completion of the minor works.
  • Once you have purchased the equipment or the minor works have been completed, you must contact your practitioner. They can then visit you and advise on whether the equipment meets your needs adequately and appropriately. Any necessary risk assessments will also be completed.
  • If the equipment or minor works requires insurance or a warranty then you will need to purchase this and provide a copy of all relevant documentation to your practitioner for our records. You should keep these documents in a safe place. You need to keep any related invoices or receipts as proof of purchase for your equipment or minor works, for a minimum of 7 years.

Please note: we strongly advise that you do not purchase your equipment or minor works until the direct payment has been made available. 

There are no results that match your search criteria

Latest social care and health news
Find out about a career in care at free event

Find out about a career in care at free event

People from Uttoxeter interested in working in the social care sector or looking to advance their career can find out more at a free information event.
18 November 2019
Council looking to step in to provide nursing homes

Council looking to step in to provide nursing homes

A decreasing number of nursing homes and the rising costs of placements in Staffordshire means the county council will have to step in to ensure people's care needs are being met.
07 November 2019
Kick-start a career in care at free information events

Kick-start a career in care at free information events

People interested in working in the social care sector or looking to advance their career can find out more at a series of free events.
05 November 2019
Adoption campaign launches to find loving homes for children in care

Adoption campaign launches to find loving homes for children in care

Staffordshire adopters Ruth & John are sharing their experience with adoption for National Adoption Week 9Monday 14th - Friday 18th October)
14 October 2019

Visit the Staffordshire Newsroom