We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.
Homepage > Care for adults > Personal budgets and direct payments > Employer's liability insurance

Related content  


Employer's liability insurance

If you choose to employ a personal assistant (PA) to provide your care and support needs, you will be the ‘employer’ and therefore must purchase employers liability insurance.

This is a legal requirement and protects you as the employer, as well as your employee(s).

The insurance provider will assist you with:

  • Support around employment related issues
  • Cover against employee accidents at work


What type of cover do I need?

We recommend that you take out Employers Liability Insurance with additional benefits, such as:
  • Employment support (including redundancy).
  • Employment tribunals.
  • 24 hour helplines for health and safety and other employment matters.

Staffordshire County Council will pay up to £90 towards purchasing your insurance policy (you do not need to use your own funds).


Who can provide the type of cover that I need?

It's up to you which provider you decide to use, but we have negotiated special rates with two companies for their top cover for Direct Payment clients. They will give you the additional benefits mentioned above. These companies are Fish Insurance and Mark Bates Insurance.

To contact either of these companies to arrange cover:

Fish Insurance

Website: Fish Insurance

Phone: 0333 331 3977 (Quote: 3451) Monday to Friday, 9am to 5:30pm

Fish Insurance video

Mark Bates Insurance

Website: Mark Bates Insurance

Phone: 01476 514471 (Quote: Staffordshire90) 

What is not covered by employer's liability insurance?

It is always best to check your policy for the levels and detail of cover. Ask your insurance provider what is included if you are not sure. Insurance policies do vary, but employer's liability insurance does not usually include the following items, so you will need to make other arrangements to ensure that you are protected as the employer for these things:

Car insurance during working hours

  • Are the right people named on any cars used?
  • Is there business cover on any cars used?

Buildings and/or contents insurance

  • Are your belongings in your home adequately insured?

  • Is the building insured?

These additional costs will need to be purchased privately.


Contact us

For more information and general enquiries about employing a personal assistant please contact Staffordshire Cares:

Phone: 0300 111 8010

Email: Staffordshire cares

Another useful resource is Skills for Care who provide practical tools and support to help adult social care organisations in England recruit, develop and lead their workforce:

Phone: 0113 241 1275

Email: Skills for Care information team


There are no results that match your search criteria