We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.
Homepage > Care for adults > Funding care and support > Funding adaptations and equipment

Related content  


Funding adaptations and equipment

You could get a grant if you have a disability and need to make changes to your home.

What can it be used for?

Examples include:

  • Widening doors and install ramps.
  • Improving access to rooms and facilities - e.g. stair lifts or a downstairs bathroom.
  • Providing a heating system suitable for your needs.
  • Adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use.


How do I apply?

To apply for a disabled facilities grant you should contact the Staffordshire Cares team.

They will initially assess your needs to ensure that the proposed work is necessary and appropriate to meet the needs of the person with a disability.

The team will then put you in contact with the Support for Independent Living in Staffordshire service. 

Note: This service is only available if you live in Lichfield, Newcastle-under-Lyme, South Staffordshire, Stafford, Staffordshire Moorlands or Tamworth.

If you live in East Staffordshire or Cannock Chase, you will be put in touch with your local district / borough council for support.


What about the costs of other home adaptations and equipment?

There are a range of options available which may make your and/or your carer's everyday life much easier and safer. 

These can range from small things such as jar openers, grab sticks, long handled shoe horns, talking clocks or personal alarms to larger home adaptations such as a stair lift, extension or a level access shower.

For more information about the range of adaptations available see the equipment and technology page. 

Equipment and minor adaptations costing £5,000 or less

If you are eligible for care and support, these are generally provided free of charge. This includes the cost of buying and fitting any adaptations. 

Equipment and minor adaptations costing more than £5,000

A charge is made for adaptations that cost more than £1,000. If you are eligible for care and support, you will be asked to have a financial assessment to work out how much you may need to contribute. 


Where can I get further information?

The Gov.UK site has information about disabled facilities grants including:

  • What you'll get
  • Eligibility criteria


There are no results that match your search criteria