Our use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

What if I'm eligible for care?

What if I'm eligible for care?

If you are eligible for care and support, a social care practitioner or social care assessor will set this out on a support plan and calculate the likely cost to produce a personal budget.

You can take this as a direct payment, which means that this money, minus your own contribution, is transferred onto a prepaid card for you to spend on buying your own care.

Alternatively, you can ask us to arrange your care. We will search for a care provider who will be able to meet your assessed needs. We aim to find care within 28 days depending on how urgent your needs are, and some people may have to wait longer.

If you need care in your own home, we will offer you the first agency that can meet your needs. We may not be able to offer home care calls at exactly the times you prefer.

If you need a residential or nursing home, we will offer you a home or homes that can meet your needs. We will try to find somewhere close to where you live but this may not be possible.

If you would like to choose a different and more expensive home, you or someone else will need to pay the difference. We will need to check whether this arrangement is affordable for your family and can be maintained for the duration of your stay. This is in addition to your contribution towards the cost of your care.

If you own property, and you will be going into a residential or nursing home, the value of this will be taken into account when calculating your contribution to your care. Financial help may be provided while you sell your property.

After your package of care is in place, your social care practitioner or social care assessor will carry out a review to ensure that your care needs are being met.

There are no results that match your search criteria