To Thrive Business Grant Scheme
In conjunction with Staffordshire’s district & borough councils, Staffordshire County Council has launched a fund to help support Small to Medium businesses (SMEs), that are located within Staffordshire.
Staffordshire County Council has pooled extra investment with the funding district and borough councils have received from government, called the ‘Additional Restrictions Grant, to reach more businesses who need it.
Grants of between £2,000 to £5,000 will be available to cover additional expenditure for essential businesses staying open during the pandemic and those with a plan to recover and get back to growth.
To receive a grant, you must be eligible and will need to fill in an Expression of Interest form to check your eligibility before you receive a formal application form.
Examples of eligible expenditure:
- Website design – certain circumstances only.
- Specialist Advice - HR / Finance / Marketing / Legal
- Review of Business Strategy
- Pieces of equipment or machinery
- Online payment facilities - certain circumstances only
- Computers / Laptops for new starters only i.e if a new job has been created
Please do not apply if any of the following applies to you, as you will not be eligible:
- You have received any other COVID-19 support grant since 1st September 2020. (Priority will be given to businesses that have received no other COVID-19 financial support previously).
- You have not been trading since before June 2019
- Your business was not viable in December 2019
- Your business is not registered with Companies House
- You cannot provide a full set of trading accounts since 2019
- You have applied or are intending to apply for any other source of funding for the same purpose.
- If you have already ordered or paid for item / service, you are requesting funding for.
- Your business is not in one of the following areas:
- Cannock Chase District
- East Staffordshire Borough
- Lichfield District
- Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough
- South Staffordshire District
- Stafford Borough
- Staffordshire Moorlands District
- Tamworth Borough
Examples of ineligible expenditure:
- Physical changes to implement social distancing e.g. minor building works, perspex screens
- Marketing Campaign
- Replacement or upgrade of equipment (unless it opens up new markets for the business).
- mobile phones.
- Computers / Laptops (unless for new starter)
- PPE (including masks, visors, hand gel or dispensers)
- Preparation of statutory documents i.e. VAT, Wages, year-end accounts or tax returns.
- Subscriptions or memberships.
- General business stock items or tools of the trade.
These are examples only and not an exhaustive list.
Further eligibility criteria are contained within the FAQ page.
What is the application process?
Businesses are required to read the FAQs and complete an online Expression of Interest form if they feel their business may be eligible:
- Complete the online Expression of Interest form when funding becomes available in the district or borough that your business is located
- Expression of Interest forms will be reviewed in order of receipt.
- A grant application pack will be sent to businesses who pass the initial eligibility checklist.
- Businesses will then be required to complete and return their grant application pack which will be assessed by an appraiser- this could take up to 8 weeks
- Businesses would need to state what measures they have considered or tried to take to remain trading and operational during the restriction period i.e. diversification, on-line trading, click and collect, developments of apps etc and the grant funding will be provided to help them implement their recovery plans.
- If a recommendation is made to award the grant, it will be assessed by a senior appraiser who will make the final decision, based on the business satisfying all the required criteria.
Grants will be awarded on a first come first served basis. Applications will be assessed in order of time and date received.
We anticipate a large number of applications to be submitted, therefore it may be some time before you hear the outcome of your application. It could be between 6 to 8 weeks.
Tel: 0300 111 8002