Funding – Now's your time to get a grant to thrive
This is your time to thrive and not just survive - get the financial support you need to bounce back
Apply to the ‘To Thrive’ fund
Please note: Funding is only available if your business is based in the district/boroughs of Cannock Chase, Staffordshire Moorlands, Tamworth, Newcastle and South Staffordshire.
The pandemic has been really tough on most small and medium businesses - but there is cash ready and waiting to help you if you’re looking to dust yourself down and commit to rebuilding your business and grow. It’s time to thrive, not just survive.
Got a plan to grow but need professional expertise to guide you and get you there? Need some extra finance to make your workforce more agile and help you get to the next level? Looking to diversify into other business areas but need the know-how and the equipment to do it? Need to get set up in e-commerce but don’t have the funds or know where to start?
We have joined with all the district and borough councils in Staffordshire to pool resources to offer you a grant of £2k to £5k to help you regroup and grow - to buy in equipment, expertise or get on the ecommerce wave that now needs to be a part of everyone’s business.
This grant has already given many businesses the solid base they need to stop crossing their fingers and get on with realising their business’s full potential.
Examples of support we have already given are:
- Small piece of machinery for a steel fabrication company to eliminate the need for outsourcing work thus reducing operation costs
- Video and photography equipment for a supplier of PPE to create a virtual showroom on their website.
- Small piece of machinery for a signage manufacture to facilitate diversification of the business and introduce more products.
- Website development for a range of different businesses to improve their SEO.
- Equipment for a café to enable them to offer a wider range of products.
- Equipment to help open up new markets for an electrical contractor.
It's easy to get started by expressing an interest, and we’ll take you through the process.
Examples of eligible expenditure:
- Website design – certain circumstances only.
- Specialist Advice - HR / Finance / Marketing / Legal
- Review of Business Strategy
- Pieces of equipment or machinery
- Online payment facilities - certain circumstances only
- Computers / Laptops for new starters only i.e. if a new job has been created
Please do not apply if any of the following applies to you, as you will not be eligible:
- You have received an SME Restart or Kickstarting Tourism Grant or any other Covid-19 Support grants since September 2020 (Priority will be given to businesses that have received no other Covid-19 financial support previously).
- You have not been trading since before June 2019
- Your business was not viable in December 2019
- Your business is not registered with Companies House
- You cannot provide a full set of trading accounts since 2019
- You have applied or are intending to apply for any other source of funding for the same purpose.
- If you have already ordered or paid for item / service, you are requesting funding for.
- Your business is not in one of the following areas:
- Cannock Chase District
- East Staffordshire Borough
- Lichfield District
- South Staffordshire District
- Staffordshire Moorlands District
- Tamworth Borough
Examples of ineligible expenditure:
- Physical changes to implement social distancing e.g. minor building works, Perspex screens
- Marketing Campaign
- Replacement or upgrade of equipment (unless it opens up new markets for the business).
- mobile phones.
- Computers / Laptops (unless for new starter)
- PPE (including masks, visors, hand gel or dispensers)
- Preparation of statutory documents i.e. VAT, Wages, year-end accounts or tax returns.
- Subscriptions or memberships.
- General business stock items or tools of the trade.
These are examples only and not an exhaustive list.
Further eligibility criteria are contained within the FAQ page.
What is the application process?
Businesses are required to read the FAQs and complete an online Expression of Interest form if they feel their business may be eligible:
- Complete the online Expression of Interest form when funding becomes available in the district or borough that your business is located
- Expression of Interest forms will be reviewed in order of receipt.
- A grant application pack will be sent to businesses who pass the initial eligibility checklist.
- Businesses will then be required to complete and return their grant application pack which will be assessed by an appraiser- this could take up to 8 weeks
- Businesses would need to state what measures they have considered or tried to take to remain trading and operational during the restriction period i.e. diversification, on-line trading, click and collect, developments of apps etc and the grant funding will be provided to help them implement their recovery plans.
- If a recommendation is made to award the grant, it will be assessed by a senior appraiser who will make the final decision, based on the business satisfying all the required criteria.
Grants will be awarded on a first come first served basis. Applications will be assessed in order of time and date received.
Applications received from businesses in areas where allocated funding has been committed will be placed on a reserve list until more funding becomes available.