Start-back PPE packs for micro-businesses
Micro-business struggling to get the right Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to help them get their business back up and running from Covid-19 can now get more help from the county council.
We are offering one small pack of face-masks and gloves to the first 2,000 eligible businesses based in Staffordshire with nine employees or less. It’s all part of our approach to helping small businesses recover and grow and reopen with confidence when government guidelines allow.
This support is intended for those micro-businesses who have close face-to-face contact, or work in confined space, and are unable to keep to the social distance measures. It is not possible to support all businesses in Staffordshire with PPE, and indeed that is not government guidelines. However micro-businesses are being particularly effected and this free PPE may help to give your staff and customers a confidence boost. We hope that a start back pack will be off assistance.
Whilst businesses should not rely upon these packs to open their business, and must carry out their own work-place risk assessment to be Covid-19 secure, it will help both customers and business owners be confident that they can operate safely.
In applying for a start-back PPE pack for business, businesses must confirm that it is their responsibility to use the PPE in a safe way – the county council holds no responsibility for this.
To help all businesses, we have also published the list of suppliers it uses to purchase regulation and cost-effective PPE.
Your business must have nine or fewer employees, be based i Staffordshire (does not include Stoke-on-Trent) and operate in one of the following categories to quality for a free pack:
- Domestic trades e.g. plumbers, electricians, plasterers, joiners, decorators.
- Driving with customers e.g. taxi, private hire, driving instructors
- Accommodation e.g. hotels and B&B - now also includes self-catering accommodation and campsites
- Food and drink preparation & service activities e.g. restaurants, pubs and cafes
- Cleaning activities
- Hairdressing and beauty treatment e.g. nail salon, tattooist
- Personal human health, e.g. chiropody, physiotherapy, acupuncture - now also includes therapy - therapeutic counsellors/psychotherapists, personal training - e.g. dance classes, etc
- New - Teaching & tuition outside of school/college setting e.g. 1 to 1 teaching and training that cannot be socially distanced
Available to the first 2000 eligible businesses:
- 30 Type IIR fluid resistant surgical masks andapprox. 25 pairs of gloves (powder/latex free, non-sterile)
- Printed advice and links to help to make sure that you understand requirements of the Chartered Trading Standards Institute regarding the use of PPE in the workplace. This information is also available on our help to use PPE webpage.
- Printed Links and contact details of other help and advice for small businesses, including sources of other funding, the Growth Hub, the Skills Hub, the Redundancy and Recruitment Triage Service and the Start up Programme, and how you can sign up to get emails of advice and guidance straight to your inbox.
- The list of PPE suppliers to Staffordshire County Council.
Please note: Only 1 pack will be provided per business. It will be sent via Royal Mail. We aim that you receive your pack within 7 working days.
Applications can be made via our online form.
Please make sure that you have read our frequently asked questions, and our terms and conditions before making your application.
Please note: You will need your Unique Taxpayer Reference number (UTR) or company number to hand to complete your application.
- Only registered businesses are eligible – please ensure you use the correct Unique Taxpayers Reference number (UTR) or company number.
- Only one pack per business
- Only businesses with 9 employees or less and are based in Staffordshire are eligible
- In submitting our form, you are confirming that you have undertaken a risk assessment and that has identified the need for this PPE
- In submitting our form, you agree that are responsible for complying with government guidelines on your workplace and employee’s health and safety, including when it is safe to reopen your business.
- In submitting our form, you acknowledge that Staffordshire County Council accept no liability for the use of this PPE, and that in using PPE you will follow guidance on how to use it properly.
- In submitting our form you are giving us consent to use your data in accordance with our Privacy Statement.
If you require further information or have an enquiry, please contact us using our online form.