Every year we join forces with Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service and Staffordshire Police as part of Operation Good Guy.
We work together with licensed premises to offer advice and guidance on their responsibilities around underage sales of fireworks and work to tackle illegal use and sales of fireworks.
Look out for the Trading Standards registration sticker of authentication when buying fireworks in your local shops.
The fireworks code
- Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks
- Keep fireworks in a closed box
- Follow the instructions carefully on each firework
- Light fireworks at arms length using a taper or firework lighter
- Stand well back
- Never go near a firework that has been lit
- Even if it hasn’t gone off it could still explode
- Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them
- Always supervise children around fireworks
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
- Never give sparklers to a child under five
- Keep all pets indoors
If you are a trader who wishes to apply for a licence to store fireworks or explosives, please see our fireworks and explosives page .
For advice on fireworks safety please see Staffordshire Fire and Rescue's safety page.
Need any advice or information about fireworks? Don't know what's illegal on Bonfire night and what's not?
Get all your questions answered on Staffordshire's fireworks hotline on 01785 277855.