What's on offer?
We provide advice, support and training to help Staffordshire businesses follow Trading Standards requirements. We offer all businesses free advice on legislation. Further support is also available at a competitive rate. New businesses will receive extra help.
All fees are availble online: Schedule of Trading Standards fees
Pay as you go advice
An hourly charge will give you detailed advice.
Primary authority partnerships
If your business produce or sell products beyond Staffordshire, you can enter into a primary authority partnership (PAP). Your partnership will be tailored to your business needs. This service is avaliable as:
- Pay as you go (or)
- An annual package (which attracts a discount).
Who do I contact?
The helpline provides business find advice on many subjects from a range of different providers.
So far we have helped over 550 businesses across Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire. Give us a call on 0300 111 8002.
For more information, please see the TSI Business Companion web site.
Whether you're a small business experiencing challenging times or your current employer is at risk of making redundancies, there is a range of initiatives and organisations available to support you.
If you can't find the information you need, or you need one-to-one advice on your business needs or your own personal situation as an employee, please contact us:
Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire Business Helpline
Telephone: 0300 111 8002
Email: business enquiries
There are many external factors affecting the performance and durability of small businesses across Staffordshire. All businesses will need to adapt in order to overcome the challenges faced.
Our support for small businesses page contains initiatives and help if your business is facing challenges.
Employers and employees
If you are considering making redundancies or your current employer is doing so please see our redundancy support pages for support and guidance.
Free expert business help and advice is only a phone call away.
- Do you run a business and need some advice?
- Are you starting up a new business and need pointing in the right direction?
- New to the area and want to know what business support is on offer?
- Thinking about taking on an apprentice and want to find out how?
As part of our red carpet approach to business the Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire Business Helpline is continuing to provide support for business in all areas, and is on hand 6 days a week to help your business grow.
The helpline provides business with a single number to find advice on a number of subjects from a range of different providers, simplifying the process business go through when seeking advice.
So far we have helped over 550 businesses across Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire find the advice they’re looking for.
What's on offer?
Free expert information on:
- Access to funding
- Starting up a new business
- Tackling regulation and red tape
- Marketing and business communications
- How to grow your business
- The environment and sustainability
- Guidance around premises and land
- International trade and exporting
- Rural business
- Learning how apprenticeships can benefit your business
- And much more!
Phone: 0300 111 8002 during the following opening hours:
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am - 5:30pm (except bank holidays)
Making redundancies is challenging for everyone involved - the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Jobcentre Plus (JCP) has a 'Rapid Response Service' that provides advice and support through its network of partners. It also addresses the effects of job losses on individuals by helping people move rapidly into alternative employment.
Rapid Response Service (RRS) support is available through the notice period and where people have not found alternative work before they lose their job, RRS support can continue for a further 13 weeks irrespective of whether a claim for benefit is made.
This support could include help to:
- write CVs, enhance job search skills and find jobs
- match people facing redundancy to known job vacancies
- organise job fairs
- provide general information about benefits
- assist people to find the right training and to learn new skills
- asisst with advice about retirement and pensions
Please refer to the information below and if you wish to contact Jobcentre Plus to discuss redundancy support that is available please email RRS enquiries stating your location and contact details.
Support for employers
- ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) offers free and confidential advice. ACAS provides advice on how to prepare as workers and employers, as well as clarifying rights and issues with different scenarios including redundancy, short-time working and transfer of undertakings (TUPE). Contact the ACAS helpline on 08457 474747
- Employer factsheet (133 KB)
- Guidance on making redundancies
- Information on the Gov.uk Website including the HR1 form to notify the Redundancy Payments Service.
- Redundancy payments helpline - 0845 145 0004
Support for employees
Are you currently going through a consultation or have you recently been made redundant?
You can get help and advice to find a new job, improve your skills and see what benefits you may be eligible to claim.
This factsheet may be useful to you:
If you are being made redundant, you might be eligible for certain rights, including: redundancy pay; a notice period; a consultation with your employer; the option to move into a different job; time off to find a new job.
For more information - Redundancy: your rights.
National Careers Service
The National Careers Service (NCS) will be used alongside the DWP’s services to provide information, advice and guidance on all aspects of work and learning including:
- practical help in applying for a new job
- preparing CV’s and job applications
- coaching to prepare for interviews
- helping people to identify their transferable skills and training needs
- help to find suitable re-training courses
Qualified careers advisers will help those looking for a change of career. The NCS can support an individual for up to 12 months.
- Specialist ‘Skills Support for Redundancy’ funded via the European Social Fund and delivered by Learndirect. This service provides bespoke information advice and guidance to ensure that training opportunities are targeted at up-skilling or re-skilling individuals to improve their employment opportunities. It provides; detailed diagnostic assessments, employment and careers coaching, mentoring, job brokerage along with re-skilling and up-skilling training support using where appropriate regulated qualifications. Learndirect can provide support as appropriate and needed by the individual.
- The Start2 Service is available in all libraries across Staffordshire to job seekers requiring more help and support on finding and applying for work. Trained staff can offer information and signposting on all aspects of looking for and finding work.
- The Jobs Enterprise Training Service (JETS) can help unemployed people in North Staffordshire find training and employment. Phone them on 01782 231215 or email Jet2work
- Would you be interested in seeking a volunteering opportunity?
- Do you have aspirations to start your own business? Contact the Business Helpline on 0300 111 8002 for further help and support.
Our initiatives help start-up and growing businesses. Many of these could also assist your business that may be facing challenges.
The Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire Business helpline will work with you to identify immediate and underlying problems and seek ways to help your business. It can put you in touch with a range of organisations to address your specific challenges.
Contact the helpline on: 0300 111 8002
Business loan fund
Could £10,000 - £50,000 help to address your expansion or development needs?
The business loan fund is available to viable businesses unable to access finance from mainstream lenders.
Our enterprise centres offer office units. They are on monthly licences.
They may help your business to downsize or relocate to premises with more flexible rental terms.