Our use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button. No, give me more info

Direct payment and Personal Assistant employment - Coronavirus update

Free flu vaccine for personal assistants

If you are a personal assistant, you are entitled to a free flu vaccine. Please see our guidance on how to book your vaccine for free.

COVID-19 testing

Please see the gov.uk web pages for the latest update on testing for personal assistants. 


For more information about employing a personal assistant, please see our full frequently asked questions.

We know people who employ their own personal assistant (PA) for their care and support may be concerned about Coronavirus Covid-19.

We have put together information to help answer some of the most common questions we are receiving.

This is based on the information as of today and we may update this information several times in the coming days and weeks. For up-to-date government information, please check the Gov.UK website.

Coronavirus (Covid-19): guidance for people receiving direct payments - Gov.UK and some useful information about 7 things direct payment holders need to know during the outbreak.

An easy read version of the Covid-19 direct payments information is also available to be downloaded as a PDF document on the Gov.UK website.

Your rights to advocacy support during the coronavirus outbreak has not changed. It will be necessary to follow social distancing and advocacy support may be provided via telephone, or video enabled app, where possible.



Self-funders  Back to top

Support available if you pay for your own care

If you are using your own money to employ a PA you should follow the general guidance given here and in the direct payment guidance around contingency planning, and health and safety. You should also follow the domiciliary care guidance.

If you find yourself in a position where these arrangements are unable to support you due to the wider impact of Covid-19 and you have no alternative arrangements available to you, you should contact us to discuss alternative care and support arrangements.



Clarity of self-isolation periods  Back to top

The government advice relating to self-isolation is:

  • if you live alone and you have symptoms of coronavirus illness (COVID-19), however mild, stay at home for 10 days from when your symptoms started
  • if you live with others and you are the first in the household to have symptoms of coronavirus, then you must stay at home for 10 days, but all other household members who remain well must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill
  • for anyone else in the household who starts displaying symptoms, they need to stay at home for 10 days from when the symptoms appeared, regardless of what day they are on in the original 14-day isolation period



Frequently asked questions  Back to top

The following are the most common questions we are receiving from people on a direct payment and who may also employ staff.

What are the expectations around the flexible use of direct payments?

Covid-19 is an exceptional circumstance, and it is vital that we make sure if you take your budget as a direct payment, you continue to receive the support required to keep you healthy, well and out of the hospital.

As far as possible, direct payments should continue to be used as agreed to within the care and support plan. However, there may be circumstances during the pandemic where this is not possible, for example, through staff absence.

In these circumstances, you should raise and discuss this with your social care practitioner who will be able to advise what options are available.

Can I use unspent direct payment allocation (sometimes known as contingency funds) or access emergency funding from you?

Yes. In exceptional circumstances, unspent allocation can be used to ensure that the appropriate care and support is provided. Use of this funding should be recorded within a log, with the relevant receipts or evidence also kept in order to justify the spend once the pandemic is over. You should always get authorisation from your social care practitioner.

If you have a change in needs or require access to emergency funds please contact your social care practitioner.

Given the pandemic, will my direct payment be stopped?

We have no plans to stop direct payments. Except in extreme circumstances, your existing direct payment should continue.

If your direct payment is stopped due to an extreme circumstance, this would be explained to you, and alternative arrangements discussed with you in order to ensure you receive the care and support you require.

If I am admitted to hospital, will my direct payment continue?

In line with normal practice, this will be dependent on your condition and circumstances, length of stay, and any extenuating circumstances that mean your needs have changed and are no longer as set out in the care and support plan.

However, a temporary stay in hospital should not necessarily mean that the direct payment should cease - and direct payments are often part of the support arrangements which can help you to return home safely, as soon as possible. You should check with your social care practitioner if you are unsure.

Can my carer or personal assistant (PA) support me in hospital, if I am admitted?

We understand that you may prefer some personal care tasks to be undertaken by your carer or PA rather than hospital staff, which the direct payment can usually allow.

While your preferences will be taken into account, the measures taken to combat the current pandemic means that access to hospitals for anybody who is not a patient or member of staff, is limited. It therefore may not be possible for your carer or PA to support you in hospital, during this period. Rules and guidance issued by the hospital will provide further information on what is possible.

If your carer or PA is able to support you in hospital, they will be subject to infection control measures as is normal practice. In no circumstance should the personal care interfere with the medical treatment. Carers, PAs or anybody supporting you must adhere to the guidance set by government and the hospital around supporting people when in acute care.

Carers and PAs will have a vital role to play upon discharge. Separate guidance has been published on the discharge process in place during the pandemic.

Should I develop a contingency plan? 

While not a formal requirement, we strongly recommend that if you have a direct payment that you develop a contingency plan, or update your existing plan, to ensure your needs can continue to be met.

This plan can be discussed and agreed with your social care practitioner if possible, and then exercised when necessary. Elements to consider within this plan include:

  • staffing - identify options for alternative arrangements where those who are employed via a direct payment cannot work in their usual way. Longer shift patterns and less frequent handovers could also be considered, taking into account any additional pressures being placed on the individual
  • alternative provision - when elements of the care and support are unable to be delivered (such as accessing exercise classes in the community), use of other avenues should be explored (for example, the use of indoor exercise classes and the use of technology)
  • alternative networks of support - the identification and contact with extended family and/or friends and/or volunteers may need to be considered as part of any emergency contingency plan to keep safe and avoid acute admission, so that people can stay at home. Be mindful that information, advice and training may be needed
  • upskilling of existing staff - identify what possible additional training or support there is for existing staff members. This does not necessarily have to be through face-to-face training. It could be through peer learning or e-learning

A template contingency plan can be found in Annex A on the Gov.uk website.



Monitoring requirements of direct payment  Back to top

Reviewing of direct payment account during the pandemic

Direct payment accounts will continue to be reviewed during the pandemic. Records should be kept as normal so they are available when the next review takes place.

If you are concerned that the amount allocated to you within your direct payment is not enough, or is too much, you should speak to your social care practitioner to ensure the funding you are given is appropriate to meet your assessed need. 



Personal protective equipment (PPE)  Back to top

The use of homemade face coverings are not suitable for use in any care setting. Homemade face coverings are only recommended for use in public settings by the public when in confined spaces such as some shops or on public transport. 

All care settings including in your own home,  your PA or care provider must have access to sufficient and suitable fluid resistant surgical masks to IIR standard as outlined in the guidance.

See more information about personal protective equipment (PPE).

Is my PA or home care agency eligible to receive personal protective equipment (PPE)?

Yes. Your PA is entitled, as an essential worker to personal protective equipment. Further information about where PPE equipment for Personal Assistants can be obtained can be found on our website. Furthermore, if your PA normally receives PPE to support you, this should continue.

PAs collecting PPE will need to show proof of their key worker status such as a letter of employment, contract of employment or key worker letter.

If you do not have access to a printer, we suggest you use this wording (97 KB) to write your own confirmation of employment letter.

If you procure home care support, your home care company will provide PPE for your home care assistant. 

What personal protective equipment should my personal assistant or home care assistant wear?

The following answers presume that care is taking place in a household setting. If you are receiving PA support in another setting, please find the relevant guidance from Public Health England (PHE).

Guidance from PHE should be consulted when determining what PPE is appropriate for PAs to wear. See the guidance for home care during a time of sustained Covid-19 transmission (as we’re currently experiencing).

This guidance applies whether the individual receiving care has symptoms of Covid-19 or not and includes all individuals, including those in the shielded group.

In short, the guidance sets out that:

When providing personal care that requires a PA to be in direct contact with you (for example, touching), or when within 2 metres of anyone in the household who is coughing, the PA should use:

  •  disposable gloves
  •  a disposable plastic apron
  •  a fluid-repellent face mask
  • eye protection may be needed if there is a risk of droplets or secretions reaching the PA’s eyes (for example, caring for someone who is repeatedly coughing) 

When the PA’s visit does not require them to touch you but they need to be within 2 metres of you, gloves and an apron are not needed but a surgical mask is recommended. This might cover activities such as removing medicines from their packaging, preparing food for those who can feed themselves without assistance or cleaning. 

If you or any members of your household are in the 'extremely vulnerable' category undergoing shielding, any visit from a PA requires, as a minimum, a single-use, disposable plastic apron, a surgical mask and gloves. If direct contact is required, a fluid-repellent face mask is needed instead of a surgical mask. Further details on who this category includes can be found in the shielding and protecting extremely vulnerable people guidance

New disposable gloves and plastic apron must be used for each episode of care. It’s essential that PPE that has come into contact with someone with Covid-19 symptoms is stored securely within disposable rubbish bags. These bags should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste within the room. This should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in the usual household waste bin. Waste that has not come into contact with anyone that has Covid-19 symptoms can be disposed of as normal. 

Surgical and fluid-repellent face masks can be re-used for different episodes of care and potentially while caring for multiple individuals, providing the PA does not have to touch or remove the face mask in between episodes of care. Eye protection can also be used continuously, subject to risk assessment. The current domiciliary care PPE guidance provides details on the conditions when this should be carried out.

Can I use my direct payment to buy PPE for PAs I employ?

Please note: You do not now need to use the funding in your direct payment to buy PPE needed as a result of COVID-19. Please see the Government guidance for more information. 

What are the safety procedures when using PPE?

PPE is only effective if it is used correctly. PHE has produced a number of resources that explain how PPE can be safely used to minimise the spread of infection. See the guidance on how to use PPE effectively 

It is important to take off PPE safely in the recommended order to prevent self-contamination.

PPE is also only effective when combined with good hand hygiene (cleaning hands regularly and appropriately), good respiratory hygiene, avoiding touching your face with your hands and following standard infection prevention and control precautions.

What about family members, will they receive PPE if they are providing care and support?

We would encourage all unpaid carers and family members looking after loved ones to continue to follow the general hygiene guidance provided by the government, including washing their hands and cleaning frequently used surfaces.

Where people are taking on care work in a voluntary capacity, and the care requires PPE according to the PHE guidance, then they should also be able to access, and use, PPE. 

Details of where supplies are located are available.

Should my PA wear shoe covers to reduce the risk of COVID-19 on their footwear?

Footwear covers have not been included as part of PPE guidance for personal assistants or home care organisations. General interventions to reduce potential transmission may include increased cleaning of floors and surfaces and keeping the property properly ventilated by opening windows whenever safe and appropriate.

Should my PA be using paper towels to dry their hands rather than individual hand towels?

PHE guidance does not state a requirement for paper towels. Clean cloth towels, specific for each personal assistant, can be used and should be replaced frequently. Good hand hygiene and the correct use of PPE will reduce the potential for contamination.

When people are using paper towels after coming in contact with someone with Covid-19 symptoms, they can be disposed of in regular household waste but should be double bagged. There should be a 72-hour wait period before being removed from the home and placed ready for collection.

Responsibility for paying for PPE

Please note: You do not now need to use the funding in your direct payment to buy PPE needed as a result of COVID-19. Please see the Government guidance for more information. 

What are the procedures for infection control in the house? 

If those employed through a budget undertake cleaning duties, then they should use the usual household products, such as detergents and bleach. These products are very effective at getting rid of viruses on surfaces. Frequently touched surfaces should be cleaned regularly.

Personal waste (for example used tissues, continence pads and other items soiled with bodily fluids) and disposable cleaning cloths should be stored securely within disposable rubbish bags. These bags should then be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste within the room. This should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in the usual household waste bin for disposal as normal.

Dirty laundry should not be shaken before washing. This minimises the possibility of dispersing the virus through the air. Items should then be washed as appropriate, in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. All dirty laundry can be washed in the same load. If you do not have a washing machine, wait a further 72 hours after the 7-day isolation period (for individual isolation) or a 14-day isolation period (for households) has ended. The laundry can then be taken to a public launderette. Items heavily soiled with body fluids, for example vomit or diarrhoea, or items that cannot be washed, should be disposed of, with your consent.

See further guidance on laundry and waste disposal.



Testing  Back to top

Tests for PAs and how they can access them

The government considers PAs as essential workers and therefore applications for tests can be made on Gov.UK. Alternatively, you can refer your PA for a test yourself. This can be done through the employer referral portal.

The test is most effective in the first 3 days of infection (but can still be effective up to 5 days). This means that any PA who has Covid-19 related symptom should get tested as soon as possible. Tests should not be done after 5 days of infection, unless they are specifically told it is possible.

General eligibility for testing

Information on who is eligible for testing is available on the Coronavirus (Covid-19): getting tested page on Gov.UK.

Essential workers (including PAs, volunteers and unpaid carers) can apply for priority testing through Gov.UK by following the guidance on testing for essential workers.

Individuals can also get tested through this route if they have symptoms of coronavirus and live with an essential worker. See a full list of essential workers.

All direct payment holders are eligible to self-refer for testing if they are displaying symptoms. A test can be requested on the NHS website.

Funding transport costs to access drive-through tests

There are no plans to fund transport costs. If your PA thinks this is required, you should discuss this with your social care practitioner.

If your PA is not able to travel to get a test, home tests delivered to the PA's door are now available. Order a test.



Self-isolation  Back to top

PAs self-isolating if they have been in close contact with somebody who has tested positive for Covid-19

Under the new test and trace system, anybody who has had a specific 'close contact' with somebody who tests positive for Covid-19 will be expected to isolate themselves for 14 days, or for 10 days from developing symptoms of Covid-19. Broadly, a 'close contact' is:

  • spending 15 minutes or more within 2 metres of an infected person
  • very close specified personal interaction for a shorter period of time
  • someone who has lived within the same household during a period of potential risk transmission

If a PA has had close contact with somebody who has tested positive for Covid-19 (or who has symptoms of Covid-19 and is waiting to be tested) but was wearing appropriate PPE during this close contact, it is unlikely they will need to isolate. These cases will be escalated to the local public health team to advise on, but unless there are very specific circumstances around the contact, they will usually advise your PA that they can continue to work as normal.

If your PA has had close contact with somebody who has tested positive for Covid-19 (or who has symptoms of Covid-19 and is waiting to be tested) but was either not wearing PPE at the time, or there was a PPE breach, then they will normally need to isolate for 14 days, in line with advice. It is important to keep social distancing wherever possible.

How will my PA get paid if I am self isolating?

If you are in receipt of assistance and wish to self-isolate and your personal assistant is available for work, then Personal Assistants are entitled to full pay. 

If your personal assistant self-isolates, then they can claim sick pay subject to them qualifying.

Limits to number of times you can claim statutory sick pay (SSP) on behalf of your PA

There is no limit on how many times you can claim SSP on behalf of your PA.

What happens to my contribution during this time?

If you are in receipt of assistance and wish to self-isolate and your PA is available for work, then they are entitled to full pay. The contribution should still be paid.

Will the PA qualify for the 80% that the government is willing to pay?

The government published guidance on 8 June 2020 on how the coronavirus job retention scheme (CJRS) can be used by direct payment holders who employ people for their care.

If I employ a PA through a payroll provider and can’t find the contract, should I carry on paying even though I can’t have a PA at home?

If you wish to self-isolate and your personal assistant is available for work, then your personal assistant is entitled to full pay. 

If your personal assistant self-isolates, then they can claim sick pay subject to them qualifying.

If my PA has to self-isolate, will they get paid statutory sick pay (SSP)?

Yes, if they are eligible (earn over £118 per week). They will be paid from day one rather than the fourth day of their illness. This will be applied retrospectively from 13 March 2020.

My PA says they are self-isolating. Do I need them to provide me with a fit note from the doctor or NHS 111?

If your PA says they are self-isolating, they will not be able to go to their doctor and are being asked not to call NHS111 unless they really need to. You do not need evidence from your PA to be able to claim SSP for them. If they are self-isolating and then become sick, they should let you know (by phone not in person).

My PA is self-isolating and I need to pay SSP, will I get it refunded?

Yes. SSP will be paid out through payroll and claimed back via HMRC. Your payroll provider will deal with this for you. This refund will be for up to two weeks per employee.

If my PA has to self-isolate or is off sick due to Covid-19 and is not eligible for SSP, what do they do?

Those affected by the Covid-19 will be able to apply for Universal Credit and can receive an advance without physically attending a job centre. For further information on applying for Universal Credit, please see the Department for Work and Pensions website.

If your PA has Covid-19 symptoms but does not want to get tested

In these circumstances, your PA should follow government advice and self-isolate. As your PA has Covid-19 symptoms, under no circumstance should they continue to provide you with care and support until after the necessary quarantine period. See more information on self-isolating.

As the employee is considered unfit for work, they may be entitled to statutory sick pay (SSP) from day one of the absence. Please see the section on statutory sick pay for more information.

Employing a PA furloughed by somebody else

PAs who are put on furlough by somebody else may be able to work for you if their contract allows this. This means you may be able to employ someone who has been furloughed by their current employer to provide care for you.

If the employee is furloughed by another employer, they should complete statement C in the starter checklist form. More information about employees on furlough can be found on Gov.UK.

When making a decision on employment, there are a number of things that you should think about:

  • people who are furloughed will only be available for a limited period, before needing to return to their original employer. New arrangements will therefore need to be put in place once the employee returns to their previous employer
  • if the new employee is carrying out work usually provided by another PA, there must be work for them to return to, as per their contracted hours
  • the existing budget may need to be reviewed to ensure sufficient funds are available to pay PAs who have been asked not to work, as well as the new employee who may now be paid to provide care. Please contact your social care practitioner.

If the furloughed person is a family member, there are additional considerations. Please refer to the section about employing family members for more information.

My PA(s) can’t work. I still need care and support. What do I do?

You need to refer to your contingency plan. If that is not possible e.g. the care agency isn’t able to provide care, consider asking your friends and family for help. If you are unable to do this, please refer to your social care practitioner for support. There are lots of community and volunteer groups who may be able to help. 


Personal assistants  Back to top

My PA has young children. She wants to bring them to work as their school has closed. Neither the PA nor the children are displaying symptoms. Is this ok?

The short answer in normal times is no you cannot bring children into the workplace as your employer’s liability insurance will be invalid if there is an accident. However, this is a crisis situation and you should use your discretion and be flexible on the rules e.g. it would be better for a PA to provide you with essential care even if they have a child with them.

The government has confirmed that PAs are classed as ‘key workers’ (someone who is employed to deliver an essential service and must be supported to continue to work). This means that if they are a single parent or the other parent is also a key worker, they can send their child to school or other childcare provision.

I am in the ‘high risk’ category and have received a letter from the NHS saying I need to stay at home for 12 weeks. Can my PA still work for me?

Yes, your PA can still work for you as your care and support needs will continue. It is really important that everyone you come into contact with (your PA and anyone else who lives in your house) follows strict NHS guidelines on hygiene to reduce risk. If you have personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves, aprons or masks, you should use them but we know they are in short supply. 

Can family carers or close friends be paid out of the agreed direct payment if PAs are not available?

We recognise that during this pandemic, short term emergency changes may be necessary. Families and close friends may need to be called on for support beyond any unpaid care and support they may already be providing. They may be able to provide this support on a voluntary basis for a short period of time, where there is a gap in care and support provision- for example, through staff sickness.

We also recognise that this may not be viable or sustainable in the longer-term, if the situation is ongoing. In these circumstances therefore, consideration could be given to paying the family member or close friend from the direct payment.

If you feel it is necessary for family members to become your care and support workers, this should be raised and agreed with your social care practitioner who will consider this on a case by case basis. 

If you think this may be necessary during the pandemic, you should include this when developing your contingency plan. Please contact your social care practitioner in advance of use. In deciding whether funding from your existing direct payment should be used for family members and close friends who may need to be called on for support beyond any unpaid care and support they may already be providing, it is important to consider the following:

  • routine employment and payroll processes will need to be followed, including adherence to agreed hours and pay rates in the personalised care and support plan
  • consider whether there is any additional training and assessment of competence required
  • any employment law issues related to the rights of existing paid care workers or PAs
  • any additional costs involved if existing employees are entitled to ongoing pay
  • if family members take on paid care and support work this could impact on any benefits they receive
  • family members are often already providing significant levels of care and support. Consideration should be taken of the impact on family members’ health and wellbeing and whether any unreasonable strain is being put on them
  • if the family member is also the direct payment recipient and the employer there can be a conflict of interest. In these instances, employment of the family member through an agency or third party may be a solution
  • any impact it may have on relationships if the family member is also an employee

Can my direct payment be used to cover additional expenses incurred by my PA during the pandemic, for example, car park charges if they are unable to travel by public transport?

In some circumstances, this will be appropriate, and necessary in order for you to receive the care and support you require during the pandemic (if your PA could not reach your home without using their own car, as public transport is reduced). It’s vital that you continue to receive the care and support you need to remain at home, avoiding admission to hospital – and we recognise that much of the support is delivered by essential workers like PAs. You would need to provide receipts, evidence and justification and agree this with your Social Care Practitioner.

Can I re-employ previous PAs who already have the training to support me, in these emergency situations

Yes, if required (for example through PA illness) then you could contact a previous PA, who may be able to provide temporary cover, and will be familiar with your needs. This should make up part of your emergency contingency plan. You should consider whether there’s any additional training and assessment of competence or upskilling necessary (such as peer learning or e-learning) to get them up to speed as quickly as possible.

Given the social distancing measures, will all PAs have official documentation to show they’re doing essential work?

No. Government guidance is clear that anybody is permitted to travel to and from work if it is not possible to work from home. There is not special status for key workers in this respect. This is reiterated in guidance to police officers issued by the National Police Chief’s Council and the College of Policing. No documentation is required to prove travel to and from work is necessary.


Respite / day care / home care advice  Back to top

My day care provider is no longer operating, but they want paying, do I have to pay them?

There are different arrangements in place for different day care providers, some are providing alternative support to day care and therefore should continue to be paid. Please contact your Social care practitioner for confirmation about the arrangements for your day care provider.

My home care provider isn’t wearing PPE what do I do?

Advice and guidance on appropriate PPE has been made available to all Care providers. If your homecare provider is not wearing PPE then you should contact their manager to advise of this.

My respite provider is no longer operating, can I carry forward my allowance to use in the future? 

We cannot confirm future arrangements at this time, we will contact you with further advice regarding respite arrangements when providers are able to operate again.

What is an emergency or crisis situation?

Emergency respite could include:

  • carer breakdown short term - unable to provide care due to ill health e.g. hospital admission due to fracture and all alternative types of care and I Care or community-based support have been exhausted e.g. homecare
  • carer breakdown long term - the carer has informed the social care practitioner or social care team they will no longer provide care and support to you, all alternative offers of support have been declined, and you are required to leave the family home
  • provider placement failure - current care and support has irrevocably broken down and you are served notice and will require alternative care and support

How is emergency respite requested?

If you require access to respite, you should contact your allocated social care practitioner or duty team to discuss your circumstances. 

Social care practitioners will work with you to explore a range of options to meet critical care needs. 

If it is not possible or suitable to meet your critical care and support needs within your home, building based respite may be explored.

When will I be able to book any further non-emergency planned respite?

We will take into consideration all national guidance. We will keep the situation under review and keep you updated. 

The current proposal is to cancel all planned stays until 31 May 2020. We will provide further updates and guidance, as appropriate. 

Will I still have to a pay a contribution to this service?

You will be required to make a financial contribution for the care and support you receive.

Why can't I receive the same care and support at the day service as I did before?

Covid-19 continues to circulate in the community, and older people and people with underlying health conditions are particularly vulnerable to complications. Covid-19 can spread especially quickly in shared facilities. Having a group of vulnerable people together in the same building poses a risk to their well-being.

That means we have to be careful when we reopen day services buildings so that we can do it safely. We need to maintain social distancing and keep people two metres apart, and ensure good infection control.

Not all day services buildings will be able to reopen and it will not be possible for large numbers of people to attend at the same time. Providers will need to ensure that the limited space is used for people who have the greatest needs. Some people will be offered care and support at home. 

Who will be able to access day services buildings when they re-open?

Providers will be asked to complete a risk assessment for everybody who uses their services. This will determine who can attend the buildings and who can receive care and support at home. Some people will be offered a mix with a reduced number of sessions at the building and some care and support at home. Providers will try their best to meet people’s needs.

Will transport be available when the day services buildings re-open?

Because of the requirements for social distancing and infection control it will not be possible for large numbers of people to be transported together in one vehicle. This will limit the number of people that providers can offer transport to.

Transport offers may vary across providers, so people should in the first instance discuss the options with their provider.

What happens if I do not agree with the provider’s assessment of who can access a building-based service?

You should in the first instance discuss your concerns with the provider. If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of this discussion, you should then approach your allocated social care practitioner, either contacting them directly or via the relevant team phone number.

What if I don't want care and support to be provided by my day services provider, either in the building or at home because I am worried about Covid-19?

You should in the first instance contact your provider with your concerns, and establish what procedures the provider has put into place to make day services safe.

It is ultimately the decision of each individual or their advocate, as to whether they choose to accept a provider’s offer care and support.

Should you choose to decline this offer, and then subsequently decide that you need some care and support at home, please contact your social care practitioner to request a review of your assessed eligible care and support needs and the options available to meet these needs. Please contact your social care practitioner directly or via the relevant team phone number.

Will I still have to pay my financial contribution?

You will not be required to contribute to the cost of day services until 1 October 2020. If you have a package of care which also includes other types of support e.g. home care, your contribution may be reduced in some circumstances. This will be automatically calculated for care arranged by us. For direct payment contributions, these will be checked and adjusted as part of the next direct payment audit.

We will make sure to update you when we have completed further engagement with all providers to establish what the offer will be after 1 October 2020.

I am not happy with the alternative care and support offered by my day services provider, what do I do?

If your care is arranged by us, please discuss your concerns with your social care practitioner.

If you are using a direct payment, you should contact your provider in the first instance to discuss your concerns and what options are available to you. If an agreement cannot be reached, you will need to discuss ending your arrangement with the provider and contact your social care practitioner to discuss what alternatives are available.

Please contact your social care practitioner directly or via the relevant team phone number if you have concerns about your care and support.

The alternative offer is not enough to meet my needs, how will they continue to be met?

Please contact your social care practitioner, either directly or using the relevant team phone number to request a review of your assessed eligible care and support needs and the options available to meet these needs.

What happens after the 1 October?

We will be reviewing the situation with Covid-19 and government guidance and working with providers to establish what the arrangements will be after 1 October 2020. We will write to you again in September.

Examples of the latest communications

See below for examples of the latest communications that has been sent to everyone that is affected by the closure of day services with up to date information about what changes are necessary given the current Covid situation. These documents are available for you to download and print out:

Team phone numbers

If you do not have direct contact details for your social care practitioner, please get in touch using the relevant team phone number from the list below:



Training for personal assistants (PAs)

Psychological first aid training

Public Health England has today launched an updated Psychological First Aid (PFA) digital training module, aimed at all frontline and essential workers, personal assistants and volunteers.

The training aims to increase awareness and confidence to provide psychosocial support to people affected by Covid-19. The course covers how to support yourself and other people to cope.

The course is free, no previous qualifications are required and it is designed for the learner to complete at their own pace.

Outcomes will include:

  • understanding how emergencies like the Covid-19 pandemic can affect us
  • recognising people who may be at increased risk of distress
  • understanding how to offer practical and emotional support 

There are no results that match your search criteria