Our use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button. No, give me more info

Advocacy services (supporting you to express your views or concerns)

Advocacy is about making sure that your views and opinions are being heard and listened too. It:

  • will give you support to help you make choices
  • will help you to get people to understand your point of view
  • can make it easier to get information that you need in a way that you understand
  • is a free and confidential service



How can an advocate support me?

An advocate can support you by:

  • helping you to think through different choices and options available to you
  • making your views and wishes clear
  • providing independent and accurate information
  • helping you to understand your rights
  • supporting you to speak up for yourself
  • speak up for you on your behalf if you are unable to do this for yourself



When can an advocate support me?

An advocate can support you:

  • during a local authority needs assessment, review or safeguarding process
  • if you are detained under the Mental Health Act, on a CTO or subject to a Guardianship Order
  • if you have a complaint about NHS treatment or care



Where can I go for independent advocacy in Staffordshire?

The statutory advocacy provider for adults across Staffordshire is currently Total Voice Staffordshire.

They will support people to have their voices heard and rights respected. The service is free, independent and confidential.



Types of advocacy

Total Voice Staffordshire will offer all statutory advocacy services. These are:

  • Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA) including Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) and Paid Representatives
  • Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)
  • Care Act Advocacy including Care Act Advocacy in Prisons
  • Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS)

If in doubt about what kind of advocacy you need for yourself or someone you support, contact the service. They can advise and work with you to get the appropriate advocate.

You can reach the service and make a referral by:

Advocacy for children and young people up to the age of 25

See the advocacy for children and young people with SEND page.



Other services

The providers above are free of charge to eligible people.

There are a number alternative and specialist advocacy services across the county on Staffordshire Connects. These may be more suited to your individual needs and personal circumstances.

There are no results that match your search criteria

Latest social care and health news

New Short Film to Help find More Foster Families in Staffordshire

A new short film focusing on the urgent need for foster carers has been released.
15 October 2021

Front-line staff care for Staffordshire

Nexxus Care, Staffordshire County Council's in-house social care company, successfully delivered thousands of hours of help during the Covid pandemic and launched a Staffordshire-wide lateral flow testing service.
12 October 2021

New health centre opens for patients

The £3.4m Greenwood Health Centre, on Lichfield Road, Burntwood, has opened for patients after Staffordshire County Council saved the land to be used for this specific purpose.
11 October 2021

Doorstep testing rolled out in Staffordshire

Covid-19 testing is being brought to the doorstep of more people in Staffordshire this autumn and winter.
06 October 2021

Visit the Staffordshire Newsroom

Contacting the chat service.

Please wait...
Chat with us
digital assistant
Enter your question below