Our use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Funding adaptions and equipment

You could get a grant if you have a disability and need to make changes to your home.

What can it be used for? 

Examples include:

  • widening doors and install ramps
  • improving access to rooms and facilities, e.g. stair lifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • providing a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use



How do I apply?

To apply for a disabled facilities grant you should contact the Staffordshire Cares team.

They will initially assess your needs to ensure that the proposed work is necessary and appropriate to meet the needs of the person with a disability.

The team will then put you in contact with the Support for independent living in Staffordshire service.


 Please note

This service is only available if you live in:

  • Lichfield district
  • Newcastle-under-Lyme borough
  • South Staffordshire district
  • Stafford borough
  • Staffordshire Moorlands district
  • Tamworth borough

If you live in East Staffordshire borough or Cannock Chase district, you will be put in touch with your local district or borough council for support.



What about the costs of other home adaptations and equipment?   Back to top

There are a range of options available which may make your and/or your carer's everyday life much easier and safer.

These can range from small things such as jar openers, grab sticks, long handled shoe horns, talking clocks or personal alarms to larger home adaptations such as a stair lift, extension or a level access shower.

For more information about the range of adaptations available see the equipment and technology page.

Equipment and minor adaptations costing £5,000 or less

If you are eligible for care and support, these are generally provided free of charge. This includes the cost of buying and fitting any adaptations.

Equipment and minor adaptations costing more than £5,000 

A charge is made for adaptations that cost more than £1,000. If you are eligible for care and support, you will be asked to have a financial assessment to work out how much you may need to contribute.


Where can I get further information?   Back to top

Gov.UK has information about disabled facilities grants including:

  • What you'll get
  • Eligibility criteria 


Did you find this webpage helpful?

If you have any feedback about this webpage please let us know by sending an email to staffordshire.connects@staffordshire.gov.uk. Thank you.

There are no results that match your search criteria

Latest social care and health news

Keep going the extra mile - coronavirus cases in Burton's area of interest stabilise

People living in Burton where extra coronavirus advice is in place, are being told their efforts are having an impact but to be wary of complacency.
28 September 2020

People reminded about support to help them stop smoking

People in Staffordshire who smoke but want support to give It up are being reminded that help is at hand.
28 September 2020

Staffordshire residents and businesses urged to embrace new NHS app

The NHS Covid-19 app and QR check-in launches tomorrow (24 September) in England and Wales. This means that certain premises, including council-run venues, will be legally required to display NHS QR posters.
23 September 2020

Calls For Staffordshire To Lead The Way In Following New Covid-19 Rules

Residents and businesses in Staffordshire are being called on to lead the way in following new Covid-19 rules announced today.
22 September 2020

Visit the Staffordshire Newsroom