Records Held by Lichfield Record Office
Records of the Diocese of Lichfield and its predecessors
Before 1540 the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield included Cheshire, Derbyshire, south Lancashire, north Shropshire, Staffordshire, north Warwickshire, and small parts of Flintshire and Denbighshire. In 1540 Cheshire, south Lancashire and the Welsh parishes were lost and the name of the diocese changed to Lichfield and Coventry. Its records form the largest single part of our holdings. They range in date from the late thirteenth century to the present day and include a series of bishops' registers beginning in 1296, court books, visitation records, wills and tithe maps (for Staffordshire and northern Shropshire).
Records of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield
These are also a significant source for the study of ecclesiastical history from medieval times onwards.
These include the records of local authorities, charities, schools, families, businesses, and other organisations from the City of Lichfield and its immediate vicinity.
Lichfield Library's local studies collection, consisting mainly of published sources, is also available for consultation in our searchroom.