Charity Commission Accounts Doc 2e
© Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Archive Service
Staffordshire Record Office : D4108/146/3
The spiritual and moral well-being of the common man was a recurring concern of benefactors. Designated funds could be provided to pay a minister to give a special sermon or lecture. A piece of land called Birchin Close in Pelsall, owned by 1912 by Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries Ltd, was subject to a rent charge of £2. Half the amount was paid to the vicar for preaching a sermon on All Saints Day (1 November), the day when the faithful remember the lives and sacrifices of the saints and martyrs; the other half was paid out in sums of sixpence or one shilling to poor people.