SUN is a networking group looking at issues affecting children and young people with special educational needs and their families.
The network provides an opportunity for parents, carers, voluntary groups and agencies -such as education, social care and health - to get together and help to make a real difference to the quality of services and people's lives in the community.
- look at good practice
- look at what parents really want or need
- provide a forum for consultation
- help professionals and parents exchange information
- provide agencies with a better understanding of children with additional needs and their families
Would you like to test the latest gadgets and gizmos?
During the Autumn Term 2015 SUN meetings, we learnt about the latest assistive technology, and how technological advances, gadgets and gizmos could help you and your family. The sessions were tailored around the most popular items identified by parents who completed our Assistive Technology questionnaire. Many thanks to the parents who took the time to fill this in. All your comments have been pulled together and can be found here
(collated report) (429kb)
Following the sessions at the SUN meetings we put together a factsheet of useful links. Click here for the latest version: Assistive Technology – useful Websites, Apps and Links (351kb). If there is something you have found particularly useful, please let us know so we can add it to the factsheet and share with other parents.
Test the Technology
We have also organised two more in-depth test the technology sessions, one in the north of the county and one in the south of the county.
Please join us if you are interested in testing the latest technology and equipment or would like to train other parents on how it works:
This fun session will:
- show you how to use some of the gadgets and gizmo’s to test at home or in other settings.
- discuss how to provide feedback to other families and manufacturers on their usefulness.
- consider the best way to demonstrate uses of the equipment to other families and the difference it has made
- look at developing a ‘Box of Trix’, containing the most useful items, which will enable families to try before they buy.
Interested? Please join us at one of the Test the Technology sessions at:
North of the county 10.00-2.00 – Thursday 14th April 2016 (The Holiday Inn, Newcastle)
South of the county 10.00 – 2.00 – Wednesday 20th April 2016 (Rodbaston Hall, Penkridge)
If you are unable to make it, but would like to be involved virtually please get in touch.
FREE lunch and refreshments provided. Booking essential. Please contact Marie on 01785 356 921 or email email@example.com.
The SUN network groups have been rolled out across Staffordshire. Current active network groups are Cannock and Lichfield, South Staffordshire (Wombourne, Perton, Codsall area), Central Staffordshire, East Staffordshire and North Staffordshire. A county get together is organised annually. Please check the website for forthcoming dates. We would be delighted to see you at the meetings.
A SUN General information leaflet is now available to download: SUN Leaflet (2,250 KB)